Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Just waiting .....

Hi all,
It has been awhile since I have updated. Nothing much is going on at the moment. Emily is healing very nicely and her next appointment to see the Dr. in San Francisco is on September 2nd. They will be increasing the stimulation of the device at this appt. so hopefully we will see some results then. Due to swelling, the device is turned on, and then increased gradually. (At least this is how I understand it!). There have been no changes yet, but we did not really expect there to be. Emily has actually had quite a few painful evenings with spasms and last night she started having spasms in her left hand. This was upsetting to her because up until now, her left hand and arm have been symptom free. She trained herself to write with her left hand when it became too difficult to use her right hand. I am hoping that this is just an indication of the symptoms getting worse before they get better. I did some reading on the Medtronic Soletra Device which is what Emily has and it does indicate that this is a possiblity. I have attached the link for those interested in reading about the device that she has. It is amazing stuff!
http://www.medtronic.com/your-health/dystonia/device/our-activa-dbs-products/soletra/index.htm

Another few weeks before Emily starts school, so she has been spending time with her grandparents and cousins while Steve and I go off to work, and Adam goes off to school. SCVi starts Sept. 8th. She is looking forward to this school that encourages thinking and problem solving and has no homework and no tests! Where was this school when I was a kid? Oh yeah, I am product of L.A. Unified. Hold your comments please!
Love, Marci

1 comment:

  1. wow What a beautiful brave young woman! Im inspired by her story! Im in Olrando Fl and just had my 1st shots today. Not Bad. If this young girl can do this so can I! I love to hear her writing, maybe she can write a book about this journey and it will be made into a movie! That would be great! Tell her to keep strong and use my motto, and Winston Churchill's too! Never Never Never Quit! Luv Shari

    ReplyDelete