Monday, August 10, 2009

New Haircut!

Hi all!
Well, the day came when Emily could finally wash her hair and take a "real" shower. She waited until tonight when I got home from work so that I could help her with the knots. So, first we took out the Prell Shampoo. Yes, you heard me, PRELL! Do you old people remember Prell? This is what the Dr. told us to use to help dissolve the stiches in Emily's head. I can't believe they still make it, but Steve found it at our neighborhood Walgrens. So, I lather up the hair, careful not to massage the head too much and we rinse out that Prell. Then, comes the globs and globs of conditioner (any kind will do). I worked on her hair for at least 45 minutes trying to get out the dreadlocks that had formed. I stayed postive for Emily but inside I knew it was a lost cause. The dreads were right smack in the middle of her long hair just below her shoulders. I remembered that sometimes peanut butter works to get out gum that gets stuck in the hair (I did this several times as a child). I yelled down to Steve to bring up the peanut butter. Yes, creamy, not chunky. And yes, Skippy is fine. After reassuring Steve that I wouldn't let peanut butter go down the bath drain, I worked it in as best as I could. No luck.
I decided a call to my friend/hairdresser Julie was in order. As Julie sat at her son's football practice, she gave me instructions on what to do. I put more and more conditioner in Emily's hair and then got her out of the shower. We let it sit and then we tried to get thru the hair with a big fat comb. No luck, and a few tears later (mine and Emily's) I called Julie back. No problem, she would be over shortly. So, Julie came over and gave Emily a cute, new, funky do, that looks really great! Emily posted a photo for all to see. You can barely see where the dr. shaved her head on top too. All's well that ends well!!! Thanks Julie!
Love, Marci

3 comments:

  1. I think the new "do" looks even better! Now you're all stylish and ready for Jr. High!!! ~Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! Love the new style, so sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Emily and family,
    We have continued to watch the progress Emily has been making, to read the comments, to refeel the love and concern, and to pray daily for a complete and speedy response to the electrical stimulator.
    The best part of this photo is to see how Emily's wide smile is still there. We love it!
    Adrienne and Stuart Kirschner
    PS. Did you ever get the balloons?

    ReplyDelete